Sunday, April 22, 2012

My Dogs

In a week where stories abound about dogs on the roof of cars, and societies where dogs are on the menu; I for one, want to announce my love for the ones who provide unconditional love, my dogs Cherie and Little Bit. Both are rescue dogs that I adopted. When my day is long or my day is difficult both greet me with happiness and the affection truly born of a perfect bond between man and dog. This is a bond older than written history and greater than between any two non-related species as I can attest.

Dogs are a species that apparently adapted themselves with selective breeding from grey wolves to more than 150 different breeds in 10 different types. They are as diverse in their size from the tiniest Chihuahua to as large as a giant Great Dane. All created from the dawn of our own advancement from cave dwellers to tribal bands. Some argue we used breeding to achieve this wonder and others argue dogs taught us how to effectively hunt as we mutually evolved in response to each other.

Certainly no other bond is as complete as to infer communication by look, whistle, pointing, or vocal command as between dogs and man. So give me a week of no politics, no scandal, or of no disappointment among humans in our so called advanced civilization, and let me share company with a much better show of manners, my dogs.

No comments: