Sunday, October 28, 2007

Rotate the Crooks: Term Limits: Throw the Bums Out!

My father had a pragmatic approach to government. It was simply if a Congressman, Senator, or politician of any consequence had been in office for too long a period of time, then their capacity to misuse the common good of the electorate was too great to keep them in that post. His solution was to rotate the crooks, that is, throw the bums out and elect someone who had not acquired the resources to yet misuse the public trust. I look at this Legislature, this Governor, this Congress, and this Senate, and I remember the faint echo of such a promise that helped elect them in the first place. I look at a Culture of Corruption, a Crisis of Competence, and a Climate of Cronyism prevalent in disregard for Anglo American Jurisprudence and a government seemingly for sale to the highest bidder and I too say throw the bums out.

I look at the outsourcing and transfer of American jobs overseas. I look at the lack of open competitive bidding on government projects. I look at the eroding buying power of the working people of America and the erosion of respect and esteem for America in the world. I look at the deliberate lies that imply we are safe when we are not; and that we are economically sound, when we in fact, resemble the Titanic afloat on a sea of borrowed debt and head for the iceberg of future disaster. I loudly and with increasing vigor say throw the bums out!

I look at the empty promises of some Senators, Congressmen, Governors, and Legislators to terms limits in the past when they sought that office and I still say throw the bums out. When I ask them if they represent the public or Exxon, I know it is in fact, money, power, Exxon, Halliburton, and a foreign government from Dubai that controls their allegiance. The facts and the record demands term limits the only way we as Americans can be sure to achieve term limits: rotate the crooks, that is, throw the bums out and elect someone who had not acquired the resources to yet misuse the public trust, before we are the Titanic and they sink us all!

By Thomas P Love

No comments: